Announced Sept 1: Walmart suppliers will be required to deliver inventory to distribution centers on time and in full (OTIF) 98% of the time beginning Sept. 15 – up from the existing 87%. Let me be clear:
- It is important that suppliers get better (full disclosure here: we have a vested interest as we have tools to help with OTIF – so it is in our best interest)
- I don’t know how many are already achieving the 98%
- This is a 12.6% jump in performance goals in 2 weeks
- The $200 domestic airline change fee is dead!
- Ocean freight rates are holding up as steamship lines are disciplined in their management of capacity while volumes are holding up – 450,000 containers were unloaded in July 2020 in LA – not far from last July
- Overall U.S. rail volumes fell by 11.8% in the first eight months of the year – not good for rolling stock owners or builders
- Warehousing and storage added 34,400 jobs in the U.S. from July to August